Poppy Appeal

I've done it again. For the n-th year in a row (I've lost track), I've donated to the Poppy Appeal, worn my poppy on my coat with pride... and forgotten to remove it after Remembrance Day!! I was at home yesterday and didn't notice it - but it soon became apparent today on my way home from work. I was quite relieved to see at least one other person who had made the same faux pas though.

The Poppy Appeal is an annual appeal from The Royal British Legion to be able to support those who have made a personal sacrifice by serving in the British Armed Forces. It's a long-standing tradition here, and all the poppies really brighten up the drab November days. This year I was given my poppy by an ex-serviceman, in full uniform, who gratefully accepted my donation, kissed my hand and gave me the poppy. He did comment though that he didn't kiss the hands of the gentlemen who gave donations! It was a lovely start to the morning and a much better end to the typical London rush-hour than usual.

No comments: